January 19, 2008

Inti Wara Yassi

I don´t think Inti Wara Yassi could exist in any other country. My partner Mikel had a saying, "Bolivia: Todo es posible, nada es seguro". (Bolivia: Anything is possible, nothing is safe.) At times, I felt like I was living in a John Irving novel: we had an ocelot living in one of the hostal rooms because a landslide destroyed her cage; I danced with a Spectacled Bear; my housemate had a cute, green inchworm-looking bug pop out of his hand, the monkeys teased my 300 pound cat by peeing on him from the trees; I was quasi-attacked my a large spider monkey baring fangs while on dawn patrol of the "Big Bad Monkey Watch"; and the list goes on...

There was a fun cast of characters at the refuge and we spent our evenings drinking beer or macoyoa juice at the cafe or at a local restuarant, destressing and swapping animal stories. We had many a fun night, including trading gifts of Christmas Eve, kisses on New Year´s Eve and money on poker nights.

IWY is always in need of volunteers so if you are thinking of heading to South America, consider spending a month or so at the refuge. For me, it was one of the most intense, amazing and unforgettable experiences I have ever had. Where else can you spend nine hours a day bonding with a Puma in the jungle?

No comments: